Graduate Student Achievements
- "Defending an Expressivist Account of Reasons," Southwest Philosophy Review, 32 (1).
- "Second-Personal Reasons and Moral Obligations," Journal of Value Inquiry
- "Concept Empiricism, Content, and Compositionality," Philosophical Studies
- "A Robust Defense of the Doctrine of Doing and Allowing," Utilitas
- "Warrant Does Entail Truth," Synthese
- "Massive Modularity, Content-integration, and Language," Philosophy of Science
Collin Rice and Joshua Smart
- "Interdisciplinary Modelling: A Case Study of Evolutionary Economics," Biology and Philosophy
- “Gibbons on Epistemic Internalism,” Mind
- “Raising Revenue for Persons with Disabilities,” Res Publica
- “Rights, Indirect Harms, and the Non-identity Problem,” Bioethics
- “Fetal Personhood, Vagueness, and Abortion,” Australian Journal of Professional and Applied Ethics
- “Perceiving God: Epistemic Direct Realism and Religious Belief,” Southwest Philosophy Review
- “Process Reliabilism, Virtue Reliabilism, and the Value of Knowledge,” The Southern Journal of Philosophy
- “Acquaintance and the Problem of the Speckled Hen,” Philosophical Studies 132
- “Aquinas's Unsuccessful Theodicy,” Philosophy and Theology
- “Epistemic Justification Without Virtue: An Intermittent Rainman Dilemma for Ernest Sosa's Virtue Condition,” Auslegung
- “A Lockean Defense of the Death Penalty: Some Timely Observations,” The Quarterly Journal of Ideology
- “The Necessarily Moral Aspect of Divine Hiddenness,” Southwest Philosophical Studies
- “Nozick's Failed Defense of the Just State,” The Journal of Libertarian Studies
- “Liberty and Intellectual Property Rights,” Anthology: Theories of Justice and Intellectual Property Rights
- “Marching to Zion: Can and Should We Transform International Law with Moral Theory,” George Washington International Law Review
- “On 'A Molinist-Style Response to Schellenberg,' by Michael Thune,” Southwest Philosophy Review
- “Moral Duties and International Justice: Developing Allen Buchanan’s Natural Duty of Justice,” The Review Journal of Political Philosophy
- “Is Hard Positivism Too Hard To Swallow?” North Dakota Law Review
- “Why Physicalists Needn't Bother with Perry's Recent Response to the Knowledge Argument,” Southern Journal of Philosophy
- “Evidential Arguments from Evil and the Seeability of Compensating Goods,” Auslegung
- “Tocqueville's Fix: Solving the Problem of Democracy with Enlightened Self-Interest,” Studies in Social and Political Thought
- “Herbert Spencer's Evolutionary Individualism,” The Quarterly Journal of Ideology
Jon Marc Asper
- “Against the Trichotomy Thesis,” University of Iowa Graduate Philosophy Conference
- “Epistemic Value, Pointless Truths, and the Cognitive Ideal,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference
- “Searching for the Reason why True Belief is Epistemically Valuable,” Central States Philosophy Association
- “What's Epistemically Wrong with Conspiracy Theorists?” Harms and Wrongs in Epistemic Practice
Tim Tung-Ying Wu
- “Equilibrium and Transitivity in Causal Decision Theory," APA Eastern Division
- “Defending the Possibility of True Belief's Intrinsic Value,” Central States Philosophical Association
- “Truth Might be Intrinsically Valuable,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference
- “Toward Functionalism About Collective Belief,” APA Pacific Division
- “Acceptance, Belief, and the Factivity of Understanding,” 35th Annual Meeting of the Kansas Philosophical Society
- “Explanation for the Cognitively Bounded: Psychology and the Pragmatics of Explanation,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference
- “Predictive Success and Non-Individualist Models in Social Science,” Philosophy of Social Science Roundtable
- “Dialecticism about Philosophical Appeals to Intuition,” APA Pacific Division
- “Objective Own-Standards Rational Belief,” APA Eastern Division
Tim Tung-Ying Wu
- “Anomalous Refutation of Idealism,” APA Eastern Division
- “Rationality, Coherence, and the Incoherence Argument,” APA Central Division
- “The Cognitive Ideal Argument and why it is Ultimately Unsuccessful," The University of Edinburgh Graduate Epistemology Conference
- “Why Arguing for the Value of Truth by Using the Cognitive Ideal of Omniscience is Misguided,” Central States Philosophy Association
- “Retributivism and the Proportionality Problem,” Talbot Philosophical Society Spring Conference
- “A Dilemma for Adaptive Invariantism,” University of Iowa Graduate Student Conference
- “An Ecological Challenge Against the Propensity Interpretation of Fitness,” APA Pacific Division
- “Making Sense of Mackie: Metaethical Constructivism and First-Order Moral Theory,” Iowa Philosophical Society
- "Quasi-Realism and the Problem of the Schizoid Attitude," APA Central Division
- “Dialecticism about Philosophical Appeals to Intuition,” Central States Philosophical Association
- “Serious Problems and Radical Solutions for Own-Standards Epistemic Rationality,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference
- “The Propensity Interpretation of Fitness and the Modern Synthesis,” European Society for Evolutionary Developmental Biology, Vienna, Austria
- "The Evidential Support for Theory Theory versus Interactive Theory," Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology
- "The Gendered Division of Moral Labor: Gender-Asymmetric Ascriptions of Moral Status," Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology
- "The Racial Divisions of Moral Labor," Buffalo Experimental Philosophy Conference
- "Defending an Expressivist Account of Reasons," APA Pacific Division
- “Might Mackie and Moses Both Be Right: The Very Idea of Theistic Moral Nihilism,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference
- "Defending the Labor-Mixing Theory of Property," Inteernational Social Philosophy Conference
- "Epistemic Uniqueness, Permissiveness, and Peer Disagreement," Society for Exact Philosophy
- "Niche Construction and the Insides and Outsides of the Modern Synthesis," ISHPSSB 2013
E. Alexander Howe
- "Defending Complexity: A Samkhya Approach to the Hard Problem," Toward a Science of Consciousness
- "A Social-Cognitive Account of Gendered Mind Perception and the Sexual Division of Moral Labor," Society for Personality and Social Psychology
- "Individual Rights and the Restrictive Force of Just Cause: A Response to Jeff McMahan," APA Pacific Division Meeting
- "Finding a Niche in Systems Biology," ISHPSSB 2012
- "Using Optimality Models to Explain Evolutionary Phenomena," APA Pacific Division
Collin Rice and Yasha Rohwer
- "Abstract Pattern Idealization and Explanatory Models," APA Central Division
- "Motivational Internalism and Experimental Philosophy," Buffalo Experimental Philosophy Conference
- “Dialecticism, or How to Do Philosophy with Personal Intuitions,” Midsouth Philosophy Conference
- "Does Moral Responsibility Require Choice?" APA Pacific Division
- "Modeling the Evolution of Human Intelligence: Our Lousy Iterated Theory of Mind," APA Eastern Division
- “Beg, Borrow, Steal: Evolutionary Economics as Model Borrowing,” Conference for the International Society of the History and Philosophy of Social Sciences and Biology
Chien-Hui (Lynn) Chiu,
- "Deferential concepts? Not for the Zombie Mary." (Poster) The 14th Annual Meeting of the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness, Toronto.
- "Explaining Absences." APA Pacific Division
Kok Yong Lee,
- "On the Distinctive Value of Knowledge." Central States Philosophical Association
- "A Hybrid View of the Ontology of Consent." American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division
- "The New Evil Demon Problem for Internalism" Justification Revisited Conference; University of Geneva American Philosophical Association, Central Division
- "Massive Modularity, Content-integration, and Language," Philosophy of Science Association "Is Language Really the Content-integrator?" Society for Philosophy and Psychology (SPP) Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology (SSPP) "Concept Empiricism, Content, and Compositionality," Society for Exact Philosophy
- "Thinking about Coalitions: The Third Man." Philosophy of Biology at Madison Workshop (POBAM) Game-theoretic Models and the Evolution of Prosocial Behavior. Models and Simulations 4
- "Knowledge Without Evidence", Alabama Philosophical Society
- "Concept Empiricism, Content, and Compositionality," Central States Philosophical Association
- “An Alternative Solution to Holton's Puzzle”, Kansas Philosophical Society
- “The New Evil Demon Problem for Internalism”, Berkeley-Stanford-UC/Davis Graduate Conference
- “Proxytypes, Content, and Compositionality”, U. Missouri-Saint Louis Metaphysics of Mind Gateway
- “Proxytypes, Content, and Compositionality” U. of Iowa Graduate Student Conference
- “Sexual Perversions and Morality”, Society of Christian Philosophers
- “The Cartesian Spiral”, Midsouth Philosophy Conference.
- “The Epistemic Role of Non-Experiential Looks”, Mountain-Plains Philosophy Conference.
- “Descartes and the Creation of Eternal Truths”, MidSouth Philosophy Conference.
- “Descartes and the Creation of Eternal Truths”, New Mexico-West Texas Philosophical Society 58th Annual Conference.
- “Reincarnation of the Symmetry Thesis”, Buffalo Graduate Student Conference on the Philosophy of Science.
- “Van Inwagen on the Problem of Evil: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly”, Second Annual Philosophy of Religion Conference.
- “Cartesian Intuitions, Humean Puzzles and the Buddhist Conception of the Self”, Society for Asian and Comparative Philosophy.
- “A Lockean Approach to the Fair Consideration of Future Generations”, Midwest Political Science Association.
- “Making Sense of Kripkean Necessary A Posteriori”, University of North Carolina-Asheville.
- “Beebee and Menzies Fight Over Nothing”, University of Texas at San Antonio Philosophy Symposium.
- “The Epistemic Role of Non-Experiential Looks”, Mountain-Plains Philosophy Conference.
- “Perceiving God”, Southwestern Philosophical Society.
- “Virtue Reliabilism and the Value of Knowledge”, Central States Philosophical Society.
- “The Virtues of Epistemic Conservatism”, Iowa Philosophical Society Annual Conference.
- “The Virtues of Epistemic Conservatism”, 4th Biennial Rochester Graduate Epistemology Conference.
- “Skepticism About Warrant Infallibilism”, Central States Philosophical Association.
- “Smoker's Revenge: Buffered Alternatives and Internalized Moral Norms”, Society of Christian Philosophers/University of Notre Dame.
- “On Almeida on Moral Dilemmas and Perfect Beings”, The University of Missouri Annual Philosophy of Religion Conference.
- “Internalism and the Problem of Scatter”, American Philosophical Association.
- “Epistemic Justification Without Virtue: A Critique of Ernest Sosa's Virtue Condition”, Iowa Philosophical Society Annual Meeting.
- “Left-Libertarianism, Self-Ownership, and Equality”, MPSA - Chicago.
- “Ricoeur and the Becoming Real of Freedom”, After Ricoeur (Oklahoma City University).
- “The Type/Token Distinction and Natural Rights Justifications of Intellectual Property Rights”, Athens, Greece.
Jeffrey Benjamin White
- “Who Killed Socrates? The Plausibility of a Blameworthy Collective Agent”, MPSA - Chicago.
- “Beebee and Menzies Fight Over Nothing”, Central States Philosophical Association Conference.
- “Intimate Connection Rejected”, 57th Annual New Mexico/West Texas Philosophical Conference.
- “On Lackey on Assertion without Knowledge”, Central States Philosophical Association.
- “Benevolent Extortion: Taxation as an Enforcable Obligation”, New Mexico/West Texas Philosophical Association Annual Meeting.
- “Obligations with Respect to Future Generations in Left Libertarianism”, New Mexico/West Texas Philosophical Society.
- “Libertarianism and Intellectual Property Rights”, Brussels, Belgium.
- “On the Scope of Legitimate Self Defense”, Mountain Plains Philosophy Conference.
- “The Appeal to the Indescribable”, Theology Forum on Divine Hiddenness (University of Colorado-Boulder).
- “Acquaintance and the Problem of the Speckled Hen”, The University of Rochester Graduate Epistemology Conference.
- “Why Care about Justification? The Value of Internalist Justification”, The Central States Philosophical Association.
- “A Defense of Left-Libertarianism that will Satisfy a Real Egalitarian”, The American Liberty and Philosophy Society.
Significant Student Awards
Chien-Hui (Lynn) Chiu,
- Winner of the Student Poster Competition (Philosophy Category) for he 14th Annual Meeting of the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness, Toronto: "Deferential concepts? Not for the Zombie Mary."
- Preparing Future Faculty Mizzou Advantage Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship (one of five awarded) Stipend for one of top three PhD student papers, Justification Revisited conference
- 2009-2010 MU Chancellor's Dissertation Fellowship
- Jean Hampton Memorial Prize, APA, for best paper in social and political philosophy by junior philosopher that is accepted by the Pacific program. (All other winners have been assistant professors.)